Warped again!

Continuing my lace weaving experiments, I now have my loom warped to give Bronson lace a try.  As usual there were a few glitches along the way.  I carefully counted heddles before I began.  For Bronson half the warp threads are on the first shaft, so it needs extra heddles.  I added plenty, but then got the shafts out of order when I put them on the loom.  I had threaded heddles and sleyed the reed about 2/3 of the way across when I saw that I was running out on the first shaft.

A learning opportunity!  I decided not to take the obvious path of undoing my work and starting over – thus learning to be more careful and doublecheck everything.  Instead I decided to work with what I had and come up with a threading that would make a viable cloth with the Bronson treadling, using shaft 1 every six threads, and using shaft 2, where the extra heddles ended up, more often than others.  I came up with this threading pattern: 1-2-3-4-2-3-1-2-3-4-2-4  I thought there might be long floats so I sett this section at 3 threads per dent, vs 2 threads for dent for the Bronson.

It is looking pretty good so far.  The invented pattern would make a good button placket if the Bronson is the front of a shirt, I think.  I’ll get a picture when I’m further along.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *