Bronson off the loom!

I reached the end of the warp on my first Bronson lace Sunday, and the cloth has been through the washer and dryer twice. It is not very photogenic since it is badly in need of ironing at this point. Next week I’ll get to work designing my summer blouse with the Bronson, huck, and basketweave. It will be great to have something I can wear in hot weather to show off my weaving.

Warped again!

Continuing my lace weaving experiments, I now have my loom warped to give Bronson lace a try.  As usual there were a few glitches along the way.  I carefully counted heddles before I began.  For Bronson half the warp threads are on the first shaft, so it needs extra heddles.  I added plenty, but then got the shafts out of order when I put them on the loom.  I had threaded heddles and sleyed the reed about 2/3 of the way across when I saw that I was running out on the first shaft.

A learning opportunity!  I decided not to take the obvious path of undoing my work and starting over – thus learning to be more careful and doublecheck everything.  Instead I decided to work with what I had and come up with a threading that would make a viable cloth with the Bronson treadling, using shaft 1 every six threads, and using shaft 2, where the extra heddles ended up, more often than others.  I came up with this threading pattern: 1-2-3-4-2-3-1-2-3-4-2-4  I thought there might be long floats so I sett this section at 3 threads per dent, vs 2 threads for dent for the Bronson.

It is looking pretty good so far.  The invented pattern would make a good button placket if the Bronson is the front of a shirt, I think.  I’ll get a picture when I’m further along.